The lands and the patron saint of Sangalhos entered the possession of the Monastery of Santa Clara of Coimbra in 1338, through a testamentary legate of D. Isabel de Aragão, by the granting of his son, D. Afonso IV. From the fourteenth century the Monastery received the incomes of these lands, paid in money or in goods, counting among them the wine, a situation that ceased in the nineteenth century with the extinction of religious orders.
In addition to the liturgical and table wine, the wine still had a pharmaceutical use in the preparation of a drink made by D. Isabel herself for certain maladies. This medicinal wine continued to be ingested over the centuries by the believers who, standing by the tomb of the Holy Queen, demanded for cures and blessings.
The secular bond of the lands of Sangalhos (today in the county of Anadia) to the Monastery is now recovered through this wine, inspired by the name given to that drink, the Vinho Santo (Holy Wine).